Boats are an amazing way to get out on the ocean and just appreciate the vastness of the ocean. Not to mention, during times like this, a boat gives you the option to selectively hang out with people that you know are free of coronavirus and at least keep the event intimate and limited to a small group.
But, boats are also one of the most dangerous motor vehicles to operate. Different from cars, the way of operating a boat is a little different from a car or truck. Not to mention, operating a motor vehicle on the water is not the same as operating on the road.
Boat Accident Causes in Miami
Boat accidents in Miami can be caused by a variety of factors, but there are a few main reasons as to why they can occur:
- Distracted operation of the boat. When you hear of a boating event in Miami, there is only one thing in mind. Drinks. These aren’t just drinks like water and coke, we mean alcoholic drinks. Intoxicated operation of a boat is one of the main reasons as to why boat accidents in Miami occur. However, it is not just intoxicated boating. Looking away from the ocean, talking to someone else on the boat, or even using your phone while you operate the boat. These are all factors that are included in “distracted operation of a boat”.
- Inexperience. Besides distracted operation, inexperience and not enough time behind the wheel is another big reason as to why boat accidents occur. Getting time driving a boat is not the same as a car. With a car, you can just take one out on the road and immediately start getting experience the moment you start taking it off the driveway. However, a boat is more difficult and time consuming because you have to find a truck to haul the boat. Then you have to find a dock or port to roll the boat into and then you can head off into the ocean.
- Equipment failure. Poor maintenance of a boat or just freak accidents on a boat can also cause an accident. Being on the water, there is a wider variety of factors that can affect the mechanics of a boat. With that in mind, there is also more negligence from boat owners in taking care of their boats. Because there is more mystery about a boat engine (even though objectively it is simpler than a car), owners are less likely to be careful or try to maintain the boat. This kind of negligence also opens up the possibility of boat accidents in Miami
Preventative Measures For Boat Accidents in Miami
Preventing any kind of accident between two motor vehicle operators requires BOTH operators to be attentive and upholding their duty to keep the roads safe. Even though we can’t guarantee that the other motor vehicle operator will abide by the rules, we can at least try to uphold the safety from our side. Here are guaranteed ways that will at least make sure that you were doing your part in upholding the safety:
- Operate attentively. If you are the one operating the boat, make sure that you have your full attention on the road and that you are not distracted by other substances. Make sure that you don’t drink and drive, talk to your peers, or look away while operating the boat.
- Designate a driver. If you know that you are inexperienced, don’t try to learn the operation WHILE you’re on the boat. Delegate the task to someone that is more experienced and has actually driven a boat. It is better to stay safe and let someone else with actual experience handle a terrain like the ocean rather than you (who is possibly inexperienced) to manage that same responsibility.
Contacting a Miami Boat Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one got in a boat accident in Miami, a Miami boat accident lawyer can help you get the possible financial compensation that you deserve.
If the boating accident in Miami was caused by negligence of another operator and you are now a victim of those actions, a personal injury lawyer in Miami can help with the legal guidance of getting your pain and suffering in financial compensation.
We give you an absolutely free consultation to hear what happened to you and to see how we can be of assistance to you. Once we hear you out and determine that we can help, our team will immediately start gathering evidence such as photos of the accident and medical bills proving your treatment to build you a strong case for financial compensation.
Remember, we don’t win until you win.